Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ready, Set, Play!

So I kept us inside this morning, mainly out of pure laziness rather than having a particular reason to do so.  And now, rest time is ending and the thunder is rolling in, making for an afternoon inside as well.  I’m finding it very hard to get us outside lately.  I know it’s good for us.  I know Hayden does so much better when he gets outdoors, moves, explores the backyard and breathes the fresh air.  But I find it difficult to go outside when its so hot and when there is so much that I have to do inside, you know… clean, cook, do laundry, etc.  Not to mention our backyard right now is simply a mess of weeds, not fun to play or relax on.  And since we moved into the house a few months ago we don’t yet have a garden to keep me busy while outside (I’m partially grateful for this because I really do have tons of stuff to do inside plus a 5 month old that would definitely hinder my already limited weeding abilities. J )  But we truly need the time outside.

I thought this article was interesting and only proves that our lifestyle is pulling us indoors instead of opening up the world of outside play.

I also have a book on hold at the library called Last Child in the Woods.  The summary says, “Last Child in the Woods is the first book to bring together a new and growing body of research indicating that direct exposure to nature is essential for healthy childhood development and for the physical and emotional health of children and adults.  Louv offers practical solutions and simple ways to heal the broken bond—and many are right in our own backyard.”

I’m really looking forward to reading it and hopefully finding ways to encourage all of us to be out of doors much more than we are now.  I’ll certainly update as I read it and let you know what we come up with and my thoughts on the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment